You can now install Docker Desktop on Windows Home machines using the WSL 2 backend. Docker Desktop on Windows Home is a full version of Docker Desktop for Linux container development.
This page contains information on installing Docker Desktop on Windows 10 Home.
Docker Desktop on Windows Home offers the following benefits:
- Latest version of Docker on your Windows Home machine
- Install Kubernetes in one click on Windows Home
- Integrated UI to view and manage your running containers
- Start Docker Desktop in less than ten seconds
- Use Linux Workspaces
- Dynamic resource and memory allocation
- Networking stack, support for http proxy settings, and trusted CA synchronization
For detailed information about WSL 2, see Docker Desktop WSL 2 backend
What to know before you install
Windows 10 Home machines must meet the following requirements to install Docker Desktop:
- Install Windows 10, version 1903 or higher.
- Enable the WSL 2 feature on Windows. For detailed instructions, refer to the Microsoft documentation.
- The following hardware prerequisites are required to successfully run WSL 2 on Windows 10 Home:
- 64 bit processor with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
- 4GB system RAM
- BIOS-level hardware virtualization support must be enabled in the BIOS settings. For more information, see Virtualization.
- Download and install the Linux kernel update package.